If you are assuming that this is a recipe of just plain mushrooms piled on top of French bread, stop right there. A tasty white sauce is slathered on that French bread with mushrooms and Parmesan and baked to create a delicious and hearty French bread pizza. Many thanks to Simple Comfort Food for this recipe.
-I added one step to this recipe. When I cut the loaf of French bread in half, I spread on a thin layer of butter and garlic and toasted it for just a few minutes to crisp up the bread. I wanted just a bit more flavor, and I was worried that not toasting the bread might lead to some sogginess.
-This step is optional. If you make this bread without doing this step, please let me know how it turns out and if your bread was soggy at all.
Makes one loaf
- 1 small loaf of French bread, sliced in half, lengthwise
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- To make the béchamel sauce, melt the butter in a small sauce pan. Once melted, add the flour, and cook the flour on medium heat, stirring for a few minutes. Once the flour is cooked through, add in the milk, and continue to stir until you have a nice thick sauce. Season with salt and pepper, and set it aside.
- To a small skillet, add the half tablespoon of butter, and let that melt. Once melted, add in the mushrooms, and cook for about ten minutes. Add in the soy sauce, toss, and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Preheat your oven to 425-f degrees.
- Take the slice of French bread pizza, and slather on the béchamel sauce, coating from edge to edge. Coat the sauce with the cooked mushrooms, then top with the grated Parmesan cheese.
- Place into the oven, and cook for about 25 minutes, or until the sauce is lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven, let cool for about 5 minutes, then serve.