This delicious macaroni side dish was devoured by my family. If you wanted to make it even more filling you could add a cup of grilled diced chicken before you bake it. I tweaked the original recipe, courtesy of Mostly Homemade Mom, just a bit. See my notes that follow. Enjoy!
Notes: I had a bag of steamer broccoli that I cooked in the microwave and added to the pasta after the noodles were cooked and drained. I used a mixture of freshly shredded sharp cheddar and white cheddar.
Freshly shredded cheese really makes a difference in the texture of macaroni, and for a lot of recipes for that matter. Take the extra time to shred it yourself. If you have a special blade to use with a food processor, it only takes a few seconds to shred an entire block of cheese. Go for it!
Broccoli Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese
Makes 6-8 servings
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked macaroni
- 3 cups (1 large head) broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons dried, minced onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Fill a stockpot with water and bring to a boil. Add the uncooked macaroni and stir in the broccoli florets for the last 6 minutes of cooking. Drain and return back to the pot.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Whisk in flour until well combined. While continuing to whisk, stir in the milk and the chicken broth. Allow the sauce to come to a boil, and keep boiling for 2 minutes, whisking during this time while the sauce thickens.
- Add the minced onion, cheese, mustard, salt, and pepper and stir until cheese is melted. Remove from heat and pour over the macaroni and broccoli. Transfer to a 2 quart baking dish and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let the dish rest for 10 minutes (sauce will thicken more as it stands).