I love this cute little mummy braid. You can use crescent dough if you like but I greatly prefer puff pastry for both taste and texture. I have learned that I detest reheated crescent dough as well, so puff pastry is the way I go if I plan on having any leftovers. Check below to see how I cut the dough.
Note: Either black or green olive slices work perfectly for the eyes. I found out at the last second that I had neither, so I improvised by slicing a stick of string cheese and adding a dab of black decorating gel.
Pepperoni Mummy Braid
Makes 2 braids
- 1 box (2 sheets) puff pastry dough
- pepperoni slices
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- egg wash
- olive slices for eyes
- optional: powdered garlic and pizza seasoning
- Preheat oven to 375-f degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Unfold and lay out each sheet of puff pastry. Fill the middle panel with pepperoni slices and cheese, leaving one inch plain at the top and the bottom. Sprinkle with pizza seasoning if using.
- Cut the strips as shown in the picture above. Starting at the bottom, pull the bottom flap up, then criss cross the dough over it, working your way to the top. Brush with an egg glaze (one egg plus a tsp. of water, mix well), garnish with powdered garlic if using, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown.
Adapted from Food.com