Folks, as we are now cruising into September it is officially time for me to start posting more Fall and Winter recipes! Are you excited? I actually really am. I love the holiday season with my kiddos and I can't wait till it is time for seasonal decorations and food. Treats like gingerbread, pumpkin, eggnog and iced sugar cookies. It is a great time of year for cooking and baking.
To start things off I have sweet and savory dinner recipe. I was surprised at the finished sauce, it is not overly sweet at all for my tastes. Rather it had just a hint of sweetness that paired well with the tart apples and a juicy pork chop. Enjoy!
Caramel Apple Pork Chops
Makes 4 servings
- 4 (3/4 inch) thick pork chops
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tart apples - peeled, cored and sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees F (80 degrees C). Place a medium dish in the oven to warm.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brush chops lightly with oil and place in hot pan. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, turning occasionally, or until done. Transfer to the warm dish, and keep warm in the preheated oven.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, salt and pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add butter to skillet, and stir in brown sugar mixture and apples. Cover and cook until apples are just tender. Remove apples with a slotted spoon and arrange on top of chops. Keep warm in the preheated oven.
- Continue cooking sauce uncovered in skillet, until thickened slightly. Spoon sauce over apples and chops. Sprinkle with pecans.
Recipe from Allrecipes.