We're still on the hunt for the ultimate spicy raisin cookie recipe at our house, but in the mean time I tried out these Apple Oatmeal Cookies which turned out delicious and the kids loved them.
A few notes.
First - If you have a cookie scoop, use them for this recipe. These cookies don't really spread in the oven. How you drop the dough onto the baking sheet is pretty much the shape they will bake up with. So if you want more round, uniform cookie, bust out your cookie scoop. I lightly spray mine with baking spray so the batter releases more easily.
Second - I've added in some optional spices that you might want to consider adding to punch up the flavor of the cookie batter. Adding spices to the glaze is also a tasty option.
Third - This cookie is quite moist and on day two or three of this cookie, the cookies can become a bit sticky. You may want to freeze half if you wont eat them up quickly, or leave the lid off your container here and there so they don't become too sticky.
Apple Oatmeal Cookies
Makes 2 dozen
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I omitted)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 apple - peeled, cored and shredded (I used a Gala apple)
- optional spices to add to batter: Pinch of: apple pie spice, nutmeg, allspice, cardamom or cloves
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk (I substituted a Cinnabon flavored coffee creamer for extra flavor. If you don't have that, I'd try adding a pinch of Cinnamon for more flavor)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Mix together brown sugar and margarine until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
3. Mix in the rest of the ingredients, except for powdered sugar and milk. Stir until well blended.
4. Drop on cookie sheet and bake 9 to 12 minutes. Let cool.
5. Mix powdered sugar and milk in small bowl and drizzle over cooled cookies.
Recipe from Allrecipes. Sharing this recipe at the following fun link parties.