Two things I love about this recipe. First, you can serve this warm or chilled and it is delicious both ways. Second, the flavor is fantastic. The combination of pesto, Parmesan, vegetables and chicken go together so well.
Note: For the pesto cream sauce, I would recommend taste testing and adding more pesto and Parmesan to fit your tastes. I added an extra few spoonfuls of both the pesto and the Parmesan to make it extra flavorful. Taste as you go and tweak it as you like. Enjoy!
Pesto Chicken Pasta
Makes 4-6 servings
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup sliced sauteed mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced sauteed zucchini
- 8 oz pasta, shape of your choice, cooked and drained
- Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup diced tomatoes
- Cream Sauce:
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Prepare the chicken breasts. Cook and cut into bite sized pieces. Set aside. Saute the mushrooms and zucchini for several minutes, until softened. Set aside.
- Bring water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. While the water boils / pasta cooks, prepare the cream sauce (directions below). Pour the pesto cream sauce over the pasta and add in the chicken and vegetables. Garnish with fresh diced tomatoes and Parmesan cheese (as much as you like).
- For the cream sauce: Heat heavy whipping cream and water in a small, heavy saucepan over medium heat until hot but not boiling.
- Add butter, pesto sauce, garlic powder and salt. Reduce heat and continue to cook about 5 more minutes over low heat.
- Stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese until melted.
Sauce recipe from Food.com. Recipe put together by Jam Hands.