Jimmy cake is a big favorite in our house. Traditionally we make my Great Grandmother's Jimmy Cake. This time around we changed it up by combining the flavors of milk chocolate and orange. The flavors remind me of the Ovation Chocolate & Orange Break Apart chocolates.
We used a good quality of milk chocolate jimmies made by Deruyter, which makes a lot of difference in flavor. I've seen the Deruyter brand of chocolate jimmies popping up at stores in my area, including World Market and local grocery stores. Check around at stores in your area for them.
Note: This cake gets more moist the longer it sits, so this cake is best served the day after it is made.
Chocolate & Orange Jimmy Cake
Makes one 9" tube pan
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening (or coconut oil, which I prefer and use)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup orange juice (I used pulp free)
- 4 egg whites, beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- zest from one orange
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup milk chocolate jimmies
Milk Chocolate Ganache (Recipe from i am baker):
Note: If you'd like to thicken the ganache add powdered sugar, a few tablespoons at a time, whisking until combined.
- 6 oz. milk chocolate chips
- 3 oz. heavy cream
- Extra milk chocolate jimmies
1. For cake: Cream shortening and butter. Add powdered sugar and mix. Add egg yolks and orange juice. Mix in flour, salt, orange zest and baking powder. Add jimmies. Fold in beaten egg whites. Baking in a prepared 9 inch tube pan at 325-f degrees for 1 hour. After it cools, invert onto a plate.
2. For Chocolate Ganache: Bring heavy cream to a boil and remove from heat. With chocolate chips in a heat safe bowl, pour cream over chips and slowly stir until all chips are melted. You can use ganache immediately or let sit to thicken.
Cake recipe from my mom. Ganache recipe from i am baker. Sharing this recipe at the following fun link parties.