Homemade rice pudding is such a delight. From the luxurious texture to the wonderful taste, it is so worth the time to make. When I find myself with leftover plain rice, this is my go to recipe to use it up. It is just so delicious and I can’t rave about it enough.
Making it on the stove top does require you to stay close by with frequent stirring, so pop on a podcast or audiobook and stir, stir, stir. It is worth it!
Creamy Stovetop Rice Pudding
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups milk divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup golden raisins optional
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter unsalted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine cooked rice, 1 1/2 cups milk, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir until thick and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir remaining 1/2 cup milk, golden raisins, beaten egg, and white sugar together in a bowl. Pour this into the rice mixture; stirring continuously. Continue cooking until egg is set, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat; stir butter and vanilla extract into the pudding.