The most popular recipe this Easter was this very retro appetizer, a Cheddar and Bacon Pecan Ring with Strawberry Preserves. It is basically a cheese ring, but with no cream cheese, so the texture is much lighter. I wasn’t sure if anyone would want to try it, as it is a bit non traditional, but the guys in our house planted themselves in front of this for most of the evening.
I’ve actually seen this recipe in some very retro cookbooks. It is a classic and deserves to be so. It is so delicious. Enjoy!
Note: You must use freshly grated cheddar for this recipe. It just will not work with pre-shredded cheese.
This is a more recent photo taken Thanksgiving 2015. Everyone loves this so much that it is now a must have for get togethers.
Cheddar Pecan Ring with Strawberry Preserves
Makes about 8-10 servings
- 1 lb. sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated (Do NOT use already shredded cheese in a bag from the grocery store)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 small jar strawberry preserves
- Lightly toast the pecans in a dry skillet over medium heat until lightly fragrant. Let cool. Set aside 2 tablespoons of pecans for garnish.
- Grate the cheese with a box grater or food processor.
- Combine all ingredients (except strawberry jam) in a medium mixing bowl. Mix gently until thoroughly combined.
- Turn the mixture out onto a board or serving plate. Using your very clean hands, shape into a ring. Place preserves in a small bowl in the center of the ring. Sprinkle the cheese ring with the reserved pecans.
- Serve with assorted crackers. May be made ahead and refrigerated. Keeps well for a few days in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Recipe from Lana’s Cooking.