Tender banana bars are topped with a sweet cream cheese frosting!
Banana is one of those ingredients I always seem to have around the kitchen and it usually needs to be used up fast. I’ve made lots of banana breads over the years, even some cookies and muffins. Banana bars are an especially tasty dessert to put those bananas to good use.
Looking for more tasty banana recipes?
The base of the banana bar recipe comes from one of my favorite food blogs, Cookies and Cups. I have never made a recipe that didn’t turn out just fantastic from C&C. Southern Tea Cakes are a hit, along with these indulgent Chocolate Sheet Cake Cookies.
Did your cream cheese frosting end up with clumps?
On a side note, I had someone ask why their cream cheese frostings were turning out with little clumps. This is because the cream cheese is too cold when you prepare the frosting.
Make sure it is fully at room temperature before you make the frosting. If it is too late and you have a lumpy frosting, put it in the microwave for 20 seconds and beat well to dissolve any cream cheese clumps. Enjoy!
Banana Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 Inch Square Baking Pan
For the bars:
- 1/2 cup butter melted (if desired browned)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup mashed banana (1 medium banana)
For the frosting:
- 4 ounces unsalted butter softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Blondies:
- Preheat oven to 350°-f. Line an 8×8-inch baking dish with foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside
- In bowl of stand mixer combine melted (or browned) butter and sugar. Mix until combined. Add in egg and vanilla and continue mixing until incorporated. Stir in salt, flour and banana until batter is smooth and even. Spread in prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until center is set. Transfer pan to wire rack to cool. Frost the blondies when they are cooled.
For the frosting:
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer. With the mixer on low speed, add the powdered sugar a cup at a time until smooth and creamy. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Serve the brownies either at room temperature or chilled (we prefer chilled). Keep leftovers in the fridge.
A few more tasty recipes for the road!