I have Spring fever. I can barely wait for the weather to start warming up here in the North. Please, green grass, come soon!
When I think of Spring and Summer, I tend to think of barbecue foods, like pasta salads, potato salads, grilled burgers and chicken. This recipe for Macaroni Salad came from Favorite Family Recipes. For our optional add-ins we used diced red bell pepper and celery. Very tasty stuff. Be warned, it makes a HUGE bowl. Enjoy!
Makes a VERY large bowl, enough for a party.
- 1 pkg. (1 lb) pkg. macaroni (or shells)
- 1 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. mustard
- 1/4 c. sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt (or to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 c. ham steak, cut into small cubes
- 1 c. cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
- 2/3 c. frozen peas, thawed
- 2-3 carrots, shredded
- Optional mix-ins:
- cucumber, peeled and diced
- dill pickles, diced
- tomato, diced
- red bell pepper, diced
- celery, diced
- Prepare macaroni to al dente according to package directions. After macaroni is cooked, drain and rinse in cold water. Once macaroni has cooled down, drain well.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, mustard, sour cream, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- In a large bowl toss macaroni with ham, cheese, peas, carrots, and other mix-ins.
- Fold in mayonnaise mixture until pasta is well coated.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit overnight.
- If the salad seems a little dry after setting up overnight, add some milk a little bit at a time until salad becomes nice and creamy again.
Sharing this recipe at the following fun link parties.
This recipe is being shared at the Recipe Lion Blog Hop – Summer Potluck Recipes linkup.