The whole family loved these tasty Pizza Roll-Ups, recipe courtesy of My Kitchen Escapades. I will admit I have been resistant to make pizza dough at home but the recipe used (a Martha Stewart recipe) was a piece of cake to make.
They came together quickly and the kids had fun helping by adding the cheese and mini pepperoni. They also taste great as leftovers, either warmed up or eaten cold for those of you, like myself, that enjoy cold pizza. Enjoy!
Makes 12 rolls
- for the pizza dough:
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 T yeast
- 1 C warm water
- 1 1/2 T olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 3/4 C – 3 1/4 C flour
- for the pizza:
- 1 small can of tomato sauce (I used probably 1/3 of a cup of sauce from a squeeze bottle I had left over in the fridge)
- 1/4 C freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
- Toppings such as pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, onions, peppers (optional)
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- Italian seasoning
- For Pizza Dough: Mix together yeast, sugar, water, oil and 1 C of flour in your mixer. Allow yeast to activate, then add salt and enough remaining flour for a soft dough to form. Knead in your mixer for 5 minutes. Cover dough and allow to rise until double.
- To prepare pizza: After the dough has risen, roll the dough on a lightly floured counter top into a 18×12″ rectangle.
- Spread on the tomato sauce (as thick or thin as you would like) then season it well by sprinkling the top with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and Italian seasoning.
- Sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese, then the mozzarella cheese. If you are adding any toppings, add those after both the cheeses. Starting on the long side, roll up the dough into a tight log. Cut into 12 even pieces and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Allow to rise for about 15 minutes, covered.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes in a preheated 475 degree oven until the rolls are lightly browned. Serve warm. (Or cold, if that is your thing.)
Dough recipe by Martha Stewart. Pizza Roll-Ups by My Kitchen Escapades.
Sharing this recipe at the following fun link parties.