Mummy Dogs are a favorite at our house, having two small children who like Halloween but aren’t really into stuff that actually scares them. We go for a spooky cute theme, and these Mummy Hot Dogs fit in perfectly. You can substitute any already cooked sausage or hot dog you would like. For a few of ours I used jalapeno cheddar brats for the adults.
One thing to note is that I realize now that my crescent mummy strips didn’t go high enough on the face to quite look like just the eyes were peeking through, so if you make them go up higher than I did. Luckily little kids don’t care about little stuff like that. Enjoy!
Spooky Mummy Hot Dogs
Makes 10-12 servings
- 1 can (8 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated crescent dinner rolls or 1 can (8 oz) Pillsbury® Crescent Recipe Creations® refrigerated seamless dough sheet
- 10 -12 hot dogs
- 1 egg, stirred well for egg wash
- Mustard or ketchup, if desired
1. Heat oven to 375°F.
2. If using crescent rolls: Unroll dough; separate at perforations, creating 4 rectangles. Press perforations to seal. If using dough sheet: Unroll dough; cut into 4 rectangles.
3. With knife, cut each rectangle into thin strips.
4. Wrap 4 pieces of dough around each hot dog to look like “bandages,” stretching dough slightly to completely cover hot dog. About 1/2 inch from one end of each hot dog, separate “bandages” so hot dog shows through for “face.” On ungreased large cookie sheet, place wrapped hot dogs; brush with egg wash.
5. Bake 13 to 17 minutes or until dough is light golden brown and hot dogs are hot. With mustard, draw features on “face.”
Recipe from Pillsbury.