This Creamy Cucumber Tomato Salad hits the spot for a refreshing side dish. It’s perfect when served with a steak or grilled chicken.
Refreshing vegetable and sour cream based salads are a long time favorite of mine. A lot of cucumber salads use only cucumbers in them, but this recipe adds ripe tomatoes and green onions. Not only is the taste great, but the colors are very pleasing.
Looking for more cucumber recipes?
To drain or not to drain: cucumbers
This particular recipe does not call for draining the cucumbers. As such, there will be liquid that releases from the cucumbers to create a sauce.
If this bothers you, after peeling and slicing the cucumbers into rounds, lay them out on paper towels. Sprinkle them with a small amount of salt and let them drain for about a half hour.
After letting them drain, take a few papers towels and gently press them onto the cucumbers to pick up more of the moisture. Wipe any salt off the cucumbers and proceed with the recipe.
Creamy Cucumber Tomato Salad
- 1 1/2 cups diced cucumber 1 large cucumber
- 1/2 cup diced Roma tomatoes ~2 Roma tomatoes
- 4 each chopped green onions ~half a bunch
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1-2 tsp. white sugar optional
- 1/2 tsp. celery seed
- 1/4 tsp. dill weed
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the dressing:
- In a small bowl combine sour cream, white wine vinegar, sugar, celery seed, dill weed, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
For the salad:
- In a medium bowl, mix cucumbers, tomatoes and green onions. Pour dressing over and toss to coat. Chill several hours before serving.
A few more recipes for the road!