Delicious and brightly flavored Lemon Supreme Rice Krispies Treats are a favorite of mine. This recipe puts the ratio of marshmallows to krispies higher on the marshmallow side, so feel free to add more krispies if you prefer.
Rice Krispies Treats are a childhood favorite of mine, so when I heard about Lemon Rice Krispies, I had to try it out.
My secret to the perfect rice krispies treat is to use an 8-inch pan for thicker squares, as well as having a gentle hand when pressing the treats into the pan, being careful not to compress the treats too much.
Lemon Supreme Rice Krispies Treats
- 8 Inch Square Baking Pan
- Parchment Paper Sheets
- 5 Tbsp. salted butter
- zest of 1 lemon optional
- 16 ounce bag of marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract use 1 teaspoon for a stronger lemon flavor
- 6 cups Rice Krispies add up to an additional 2 cups of cereal if you want it less on the marshmallow side of things.
- Grease an 8-inch square pan with butter; set aside. If you are worried at all about sticking, line the pan with parchment then lightly butter the parchment paper.
- In a large saucepan or pot melt butter over low heat with the lemon zest, if using. Add in marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Stir in the lemon extract and remove from heat . Stir in the rice krispies.
- Spread into prepared pan. Very lightly spray your hands with cooking spray or butter and smooth the top of the treats and fill in along the edges to get an even layer. Be careful not to press down too hard on the krispies, we don't want to compress them. Let cool for about an hour.
- To cut them up easily, put down a big piece of parchment paper on the counter top. Run a knife along the edges of the pan of rice krispies treats to loosen them, then invert the pan and they should pop out. Use a sharp knife to cut into squares.