Olive Garden Inspired Lemon Cream Cake is a light white cake with a creamy lemon, cream cheese and whipped cream filling garnished with a crumb topping. Serve chilled for a refreshing dessert.
Today I am continuing to catch up with my Easter recipes. I tried out a recipe for an Olive Garden Lemon Cream Cake. The verdict was it was very delicious, although not an exact match to Olive Garden, it was close enough to satisfy the craving.
Plan ahead to chill it for a few hours
This cake gets a better flavor the longer it chills in the fridge, soo make this ahead of time and let it chill for a few hours before serving.
Be sure to fully whip the heavy cream
I noticed a few reviews remarking that the filling was runny. Please take care to whip the heavy whipped cream until it reaches stiff peaks. If you do not beat it long enough it will cause your filling to be runny. I would recommend chilling your mixing bowl and beaters in the fridge before you beat the whipping cream. You want all of the elements to be nice and cold.
Use a cake leveler ensure even layers
A cake leveler is perfect for a recipe like this. I recommend picking one up at the store. I love mine.
You can bake the crumb topping if you prefer
The original recipe calls for raw flour to be used in the topping. You can toast the flour at 350-f degrees for 10 minutes to make it safe to eat. I haven’t tried this method out yet, but wanted to provide this option for those that are concerned about it.
Double the crumb topping if you plan on coating the sides
For simplicity I only garnished the top of the cake with the crumb topping. Less hassle for me and I didn’t mind that the sides of the cake wasn’t fully coated. If you are planning on using crumbs on the sides of the cake you should consider doubling the recipe for the crumb topping.
Olive Garden Inspired Lemon Cream Cake Recipe
- 10-inch Cake Pan
- 1 white cake mix prepared
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream whipped to stiff peaks
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp. butter
- Prepare cake as directed in a 10″ round cake pan. Set aside to cool.
- Blend softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, and lemon juice together. In a medium bowl, whip heavy whipping cream to stiff peaks. Gently fold into cream cheese mixture and blend by hand. Chill until ready to add to the cake.
- Mix flour and powdered sugar in small bowl. Crumble butter in and dribble in vanilla extract. The crumbles should be no larger than pea size. If you have trouble crumbling mixture, chill for a few minutes. Chill until needed.
- After cake is cooled, cut in half. Spread cream cheese mixture, saving 1/2 cup, on bottom half and carefully place top layer back. Spread rest of cream cheese mixture on the sides of cake. Press crumb topping onto the top of the cake.
- Chill for 3 hours.
Recipe from SparkRecipes.
A few more tasty recipes for the road!