Molasses Bars are sort of an old fashioned treat and a favorite at our house. The original recipe notes that you can use either butter, oil, shortening or margarine. Having made this a variety of ways, our results were that using oil produced a much wetter and dense bar.
This time around we used butter, actually a vegan butter as this was baked for someone that has dietary restrictions. Using the butter produced a lighter, more cake like result. You can use your favorite buttercream frosting. I cut my recipe in half (the halved version is below) and frost the bars pretty thinly. Enjoy!
Makes a 9 x 13 pan
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 Tbsp. whipping cream
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly spray or grease 9 x 13 pan.
2. Cream together butter and sugar. Add the egg and beat well. Add the molasses and water and beat well. Sift together the flour, salt, soda, cinnamon and clove. Add to molasses mixture.
3. Pour in pan and bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
1.In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
2. Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for spreading consistency.
3. Once the bars have cooled, frost, cut in squares and serve.