Next up for Apple Week is a delicious savory and sweet recipe for Acorn Squash with Apple & Sausage Stuffing with Apple Glaze. It combines some great fall flavors. I will admit I loved this recipe and that I snarfed this. I snarfed it hard.
Note: If you would like to skip making the apple glaze, you could substitute maple syrup for the glaze.
Acorn Squash with Apple & Sausage Stuffing with Apple Glaze
Makes 4 servings
- 1 1/2 cups diced bread
- 8 maple sausage links, cooked and cut into chunks
- 1 large apple diced
- 1/4 cup diced, sauteed onions
- 1/4 cup diced, sauteed celery
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- pinch thyme
- 2 acorn squash
Apple glaze (Directions follow below):
- 1 12 oz. can apple juice concentrate
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp Penseys Chinese 5 Spice
1. Preheat oven to 400-f degrees. Cut squash in half. Scoop out seeds. Fill a large baking dish with 1/2″ water.
2. Combine stuffing ingredients (except squash) in a large bowl and stir to mix. Spoon into prepared squash. Place filled squash halves in the baking dish (stuffing side up). Cover with foil. Bake 40 minutes. Remove foil and glaze. Return to oven and bake 15 minutes.
1. Dissolve the cornstarch in a ramekin with a little bit of the apple juice concentrate. Then combine all glaze ingredients together in a medium saucepan over med-high heat. Bring to a boil and stir for 1-2 minutes. Set aside.