One note: The original recipe didn’t state what size baking dish to use, although it looks like a 9″x13″ from the picture. However, using the heaping 1/2 cup per serving per tortilla, I only filled up an extra deep 9″x9″ baking dish and it filled only 6 tortillas. Use your best judgement. You can make it go farther by using less filling per tortilla, or by using smaller tortillas as well.
Creamy Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
Makes one 9″x9″ pan, about 6 large servings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (1 teaspoon)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 can (10 ounce) Rotel, undrained
- 1 can (28 ounce) Green Chile Enchilada Sauce (I used Las Palmas brand)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 package (8 ounce) cream cheese, softened and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish if desired
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, seasoned liberally with salt and pepper, baked and diced into bite size pieces
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
- 6 large flour tortillas
1. Melt the 3 tablespoons butter in a Dutch Oven over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for about 3-4 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and saute another minute or two, until fragrant. Add flour and mix; continue cooking for 2 minutes.
2. Add the rotel, green chile enchilada sauce, cumin and the ground red pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and mix in the cream cheese and cilantro. Stir until the cream cheese is melted.
3. Place the cooked and diced chicken in a medium sized bowl and add 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheese and 1 cup cream cheese enchilada sauce. Mix well.
4. Put 1 1/2 cups of the cream cheese enchilada sauce in the bottom of a large lightly greased pyrex dish.
5. Wrap tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for about 30-45 seconds, to soften.
6. Divide the chicken mixture evenly between the tortillas (about a heaping 1/2 cup) and roll up. Place seam side down in the pyrex dish.
7. Cover with the remaining cream cheese enchilada sauce and top with the remaining shredded cheese.
8. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 35- 40 minutes until hot and bubbly. Garnish with additional minced fresh cilantro if desired.