Summer has gone by so quickly and it is hard to believe the kids are just about back to school. This baked cabbage side dish is quite tasty and not too hard to prepare. It isn't a super rich or creamy dish, rather it is more heavy on the cabbage with just a bit of the sour cream/bacon/cheese topping.
All in all it was very tasty and it makes me want to cook cabbage more often. Enjoy!
Twice-Cooked Cabbage with Sour Cream and Bacon (Keto/Low Carb)
Makes 8 side dish servings at 6 carbs per serving
Printer Friendly Recipe
- 4 slices thick-sliced bacon, cut into thin strips
- 2 tsp. olive oil or bacon fat
- 1/4 yellow onion, finely minced
- 1 large head of cabbage (2 pounds) core cut out and cut into thin strips
- 1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup sour cream (full-fat sour cream preferred)
- 3/4 cup grated Mozzarella cheese (full fat)
- Preheat oven to 375-F. Slice the bacon. Cut the core out of the cabbage and cut it into thin strips. Mince the onion.
- Heat a small frying pan over medium high heat, add the strips of bacon, and cook until the bacon is browned and very crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in the largest frying pan you have, add the minced onion, and cook over medium-high heat until it's barely starting to brown. Add the sliced cabbage, season with paprika, salt, and pepper, and cook just until it has softened partly. Then add the crisp bacon pieces, stir to combine with the cabbage, and cook 1-2 minutes more to combine flavors.
- Spray a large glass baking dish with olive oil or non-stick spray. Put the sauteed cabbage in the casserole dish and spread the sour cream over, then sprinkle with the grated Mozzarella.
- Bake about 30 minutes, or until it's bubbling hot and the top is nicely browned. Serve hot.
Recipe from Kalyn's Kitchen.