Twinkies Strawberry Shortcake is a dessert my daughter came up with and prepared on her own last Easter. It is a fast and easy recipe but super tasty.
This style of dessert is also called a refrigerator cake, in that all the components are already prepared but it is prepared and then chilled for several hours to let the flavors come together.
This is a great potluck or party recipe for Summer. Enjoy!
Note: Do NOT use strawberry glaze, which is sold in the produce section by the chocolate melting chips. It tastes awful. Go for real strawberry jam, preferably this delicious strawberry freezer jam that is our household favorite.
Twinkies Strawberry Shortcake
Makes a large 9 x 13" pan, or larger if desired
- 1-2 large boxes of Twinkies, cut in half so that you have two very thin layers of Twinkies (as opposed to 2 large chunks)
- 1 medium/large container strawberries, washed, hulled and cut into slices
- 1 cup of good quality strawberry preserves or jam (I used strawberry freezer jam, it is the BEST) -or- a jar of strawberry sundae topping
- 2 standard sized containers cool whip
- 1 (8 oz.) package softened cream cheese
- Prepare the strawberries and set aside. Mix up the jam with a spoon until it loosens up a bit, microwaving a few seconds as necessary. You can also heat it up on the stove top with a little bit of water if you have a really thick jam. (I had a strawberry freezer jam recipe that never really set up so it was more of a sauce and I used that.)
- Whip the cream cheese with a hand held mixer until creamy. Add in the cool whips, stirring well.
- Cut enough Twinkies to layer the bottom of a large, deep serving dish. Top with half of the cool whip mixture. Top with half of the sliced strawberries. Top with all of the strawberry jam, spreading evenly.
- Add the 2nd layer of cut Twinkies. Top with 2nd half of cool whip topping. Finally top with the 2nd half of the sliced strawberries. Chill for several hours before serving.