Shredded Apple Pie is not something I'd heard of until I tried this delicious pie. The consistency of course is different than a traditional apple pie, but the taste is different as well. Eggs in the shredded apple mixture create a really wonderful flavor. My mother commented that the texture and taste reminded her a bit of pecan pie, which I agree on.
This is a very sweet pie indeed. I think you could safely get away with cutting the sugar down to one cup, if you prefer. But I wouldn't try to reduce it too much to make it healthy. It is a sweet pie and trying to make it a non sweet, "healthy" pie sorta defeats the purpose.
I was blown away at how good this pie was. Enjoy!
Unbelievably Good Shredded Apple Pie
Makes 6-8 servings
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3 medium (3 cups) Honeycrisp apples, peeled and grated with a cheese grater
- 1 unbaked deep-dish pie shell
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat together the sugar, butter, flour, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and eggs with a hand mixer on medium speed. Beat until combined.
- Fold in the shredded apples. Pour mixture into the unbaked pie shell. Bake for 55-60 minutes. Let cool 1 hour before serving.