This Creamy Carrot Casserole features carrots baked in a cream sauce and topped with buttery crushed cornflakes. This comforting side dish goes perfectly alongside a roast chicken.
Mixed in the casserole is sharp cheddar cheese for some great flavor.
Creamy Carrot Casserole
Makes about 8 servings
- 3 cups Kellogg's Corn Flakes, crushed to 1 cup
- 1 stick Land O’ Lakes butter, divided
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 lbs. crinkle-cut carrots, cooked and drained
- 1 tbsp. parsley flakes
- Combine crumbs and 4 tbsp. melted butter; set aside.
- Add onion to remaining butter. Saute over low heat. Add flour, salt and pepper. Stir in cream and half and half in 1/2 cup increments.
- Increase heat to medium; cook until bubbly and thickened, stirring constantly. Add cheese; stir until smooth. Stir in cooked carrots and parsley.
- Spread in greased 9 x 13” baking dish. Sprinkle with crumb mixture. Cover casserole with foil.
- Bake in 350° oven about 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes or until bubbly and crumbs are golden.