This citrusy, flavorful yellow cake starts with a cake mix and is topped with a light whipped frosting mixed with a tart lemon curd.
Feel free to use your favorite from scratch yellow cake recipe and proceed with this recipe if you have a problem with cake mixes, but I really don't mind them every once in a while for a quick sweet fix.
Triple Citrus Yellow Cake with Lemon Curd Frosting
Makes a 9x13-inch cake
- For cake:
- 1 box moist yellow cake mix plus all ingredients on the back of the box (eggs, oil or water)
- 1 additional egg
- 1/4 teaspoon orange oil
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon oil
- 1/4 teaspoon lime oil
- For topping:
- 12 ounce container Cool Whip (This is the medium size tub, check the packaging to be sure)
- 1/2 cup (8 ounces) lemon curd, use more if you'd like a more tart flavor
- optional garnish: fresh lemon, orange or lime zest
- Prepare the cake according to box mix instructions but add an additional egg to however many the box calls for. This will make the cake more rich. Add the three citrus oils to the prepared batter and gently stir to combine. Bake and cool as directed on the box.
- Prepare the frosting. Mix the Cool Whip with the lemon curd, stirring very well to combine. Frost the cake. Chill for several hours and serve. Garnish with zest if using.