Delicious Reuben Sandwiches with an easy to prepare Thousand Island Dressing. These sandwiches are so tasty and are great comfort food.
Reuben Sandwiches with Homemade Thousand Island Dressing
Makes enough for about 8 sandwiches
- 16 slices Rye bread
- 1 lb. pastrami, sliced
- 1 lb. swiss cheese, sliced
- 1 can sauerkraut, drained
- For the Thousand Island Dressing:
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- dash black pepper
- Prepare the Thousand Island Dressing: Combine the mayo, ketchup, vinegar, sugar, relish, onion and salt and pepper in a small mixing bowl. Transfer to a small container and chill until ready to use.
- Prepare the sandwiches: Lay out all of the pieces of bread into pairs. Add a layer of the prepared Thousand Island dressing onto each slice. Top one piece of bread with cheese and the other with pastrami. Add a spoonful of sauerkraut on top of the cheese. Keeping the sauerkraut in the middle will help the bread to not get soggy. Bring both sides together to form your sandwich. Add a layer of butter to the outside of each piece of bread and grill until cheese has melted and everything is warmed through.
Recipe by Jam Hands.