A light glaze decorates the top of the coffee cake, along with a sprinkling of pecans.
Moist Cinnamon Streusel Pumpkin Coffee Cake
Makes a 9-inch coffee cake, 10-12 slices
- For the streusel:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg, cloves and ginger
- 4 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- For the coffee cake:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 Tablespoons salted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- For the glaze:
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoon maple extract
- 1-2 Tablespoons milk
- Optional garnish: Chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9 inch cake pan with a circle of parchment paper in the bottom and grease the sides.
- To prepare the streusel, add flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, other spices and melted butter to a medium sized bowl and mix with a fork until all ingredients are incorporated. Set aside.
- To make the cake batter, beat sugar and butter until light in color and fluffy, 3-4 minutes. Add pumpkin puree, milk and sour cream and mix until well incorporated. Add egg and vanilla extract and mix until smooth. Combine flour, baking powder and spices in a separate bowl. Add dry ingredients to batter and mix until smooth.
- Spread half of the cake batter into the bottom of the cake pan. Top batter with about half of the streusel mixture. Spread remaining cake batter over streusel. Sprinkle chopped pecans and remaining streusel over the top of the cake batter.
- Bake for 24-26 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs. Remove cake from oven and allow to cool in the pan for about 5 minutes. Then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
- To make the glaze, combine powdered sugar, maple extract and milk in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. You can always add a little more milk or sugar, if needed. Drizzle the glaze over the coffee cake. Optional garnish: Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
Recipe from Life, Love and Sugar.