File this one under salad that is not particularly healthy but tastes damn good. It is addictive! Try to stop at just a small serving, I dare you.
Most taco salads I found use a taco seasoning to season the ground beef but I skipped that. I feel like there is plenty of flavor in this salad without adding in a dry mix. Add some to your meat if you'd like but I think if you try it without you'll find that it isn't a necessity.
I made my dressing with a whisk and bowl, which is totally doable, it just takes patience and a strong arm. If you go this route, the oil has to be added one drop at a time. Yep, really. Go slow and whisk till you drop. If I can do it, you can too.
So good. Enjoy!
Doritos Taco Salad with Homemade French Dressing
Makes several servings
- For the French dressing:
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- For the salad:
- Several cups chopped lettuce (1-2 cups per person)
- 1-2 medium ripened on the vine tomatoes, diced
- shredded cheddar or colby jack cheese
- crushed doritos chips
- ground beef cooked with a few Tablespoons finely chopped onion, cooked and drained
- Optional: taco seasoning added to the ground beef while cooking, I skipped this
- diced cucumber
- chopped green onions
- In a blender, place the mayonnaise, ketchup, vinegar, sugar, onion powder, salt and pepper; cover and process until smooth.
- While processing, gradually add oil in a steady slow stream. (If you make this by hand, whisk vigorously and add the oil one drop at a time. Go very slow.)
- Let chill in fridge until ready to use.
- To prepare the salad: Combine the lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, crushed chips, warm ground beef, cucumber and green onions. Drizzle with French dressing. Toss lightly to combine and serve.
Recipe from Jam Hands.