Tender carrots in a luscious brown sugar butter sauce, spiced with a hint of cinnamon and orange zest. This is a great recipe for picky kids. The sauce is sweet and so tasty.
Note: Since this is a butter sauce, you want to keep the carrots warm if you are serving them with a meal. Keep them covered in foil or a lid on your serving dish. If they sit out too long at room temperature and cool, the butter will firm back up. If that happens reheat and stir well. Enjoy!
Carrots in Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Butter Sauce
Makes 8 servings
- 2 pounds carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices (12 to 14 medium)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, if desired (for the water)
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel (1 teaspoon for a more potent orange flavor)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash of cinnamon
- Heat 1 inch water to boiling in 3-quart saucepan. Add carrots and, if desired, 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer covered 12 to 15 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- While carrots are cooking, heat brown sugar, butter, orange peel, 1/2 teaspoon salt and cinnamon in 10- or 12-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved and mixture is just barely bubbly. Be careful not to overcook or the mixture will taste scorched. Remove from heat.
- Drain carrots. Stir carrots into brown sugar mixture. Cook over low heat about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and gently, until carrots are glazed and hot.
Adapted from Betty Crocker.