Crunchy, sweet and creamy are how I would describe these tasty Butterscotch Cashew Haystacks. The cashew is a new addition I had never tried before, but it added a lot of flavor to the recipe.
This is an easy recipe to make with kids. I added just a touch of shortening so that the butterscotch chips melt really nice and smooth. As you can see, even with the tiny addition of 1 tsp. of shortening, the haystacks set up very nicely and the candy coating is smooth. Enjoy!
Butterscotch Cashew Haystacks
Makes about 15 servings
- 11 oz. bag butterscotch chips
- 1 tsp. shortening
- 5 oz. can chow mein noodles
- 1 cup cashews
- In a microwave safe dish, add the butterscotch chips and shortening together. Heat in 15 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until melted. Stir well until glossy and smooth.
- Add the chow mein noodles and cashews and gently stir well until thoroughly coated with the butterscotch.
- Drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto parchment paper and allow to set up. After they have set up, store in a tupperware at room temperature.
Recipe by Jam Hands.