Cinnamon and clove is a popular holiday scent, but how does it rate when it comes to cookie taste? Excellent, as it turns out.
Buttery spritz cookies are flavored with orange and clove then rolled in adorable Swedish pearl sugar to give it a pretty presentation.
These little gems are addictive, I tell ya. Perfect with coffee and loved by adults and kids alike. I haven't tried using any other types of sugar in place of the Swedish pearl sugar, so if you happen to substitute that with something else, please let us know how it turned out. Enjoy!
Orange and Clove Spritz Cookies Rolled in Swedish Pearl Sugar
Makes several dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/4 teaspoon orange oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried orange peel (or 1/2 to 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Swedish pearl sugar
- Heat oven to 400f. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in flour, salt, egg, orange extract, orange oil, dried orange peel and ground cloves.
- Roll dough into one inch balls, then roll in the Swedish pearl sugar.
- Line your cookie sheet with parchment paper. Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until just barely browned on the edges. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. (To be honest I just pick up the parchment sheet and slide it and the cookies onto the counter to let my cookies cool.)
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker.