I used our family recipe for chocolate cake (halved-- remember to bake for a shorter amount of time since it uses a smaller pan). After cooling a layer of delicious Apricot filling is spread over the top, then that is topped with the tiramisu mascarpone frosting and shaved chocolate curls. Delicious!
If you were curious as to how the flavor combination came about, my mother used to make a cheesecake that was topped with apricot filling and a coffee whipped cream. So very good. Enjoy!
Chocolate Apricot Cake with Tiramisu Mascarpone Frosting
Makes one 8-inch cake
- Half recipe of family favorite chocolate cake
- 1 can of apricot Solo brand pastry filling (there will be some left over. Use as much as you'd like)
- 1 container Tiramisu Mascarpone, room temperature (This variety is already flavored with coffee and sugar)
- 1-2 cups freshly whipped cream or cool whip (Use what you prefer. Cool Whip will hold up a bit better in the long run)
- 1 chocolate bar for chocolate curls garnish
- Prepare the recipe for chocolate cake, halving it and baking it in an 8-inch pan for approx. 30 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Spread a layer of apricot pastry filling over the top of the chocolate cake.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the softened Tiramisu Mascarpone with 1 to 2 cups whipped cream or whipped topping, until well incorporated. Spread evenly over the layer of apricot.
- Top the frosting with chocolate curls. Chill well and refrigerate any leftovers.
Recipe by Jam Hands.