Occasionally when I think of coffee cake the thought that comes to mind is dry or tasteless. This Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake, recipe courtesy of Cozy Country Living, is the opposite of dry and tasteless. It is ultra moist and flavorful, packed with blueberries and topped with almonds and icing.
For a touch of extra flavor, I added Lorann Oils Sweet Butter Dough emulsion to my icing and it tasted phenomenal. Be sure to drop by Cozy Country Living for more delicious recipes from Shannon. Enjoy!
Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake
Makes two 8 or 9 -inch cakes, each cake serves 6 to 8.
- For the Cake:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- For the Glaze:
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 1/2 tbsp. milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray (2) 8 or 9 inch cake pans with non stick cooking spray and line with parchment paper if desired and set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add the egg and the almond extract and beat well.
- Sift the dry ingredients and alternate them with the sour cream, and mix until everything is well incorporated. By hand, gently add and fold in the fresh blueberries. Evenly add the batter to the 2 cake pans and spread.
- Sprinkle the sliced almonds on top of the 2 cakes and bake for 20-22 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into the cake comes out clean.Remove from the oven, carefully take a knife and go around the edge of the cakes to make sure it isn't sticking to the sides of the pan and let the cakes rest in the pans for 15 minutes.When the cakes have cooled a bit you can remove them to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- After the cakes have cooled, combine the glaze ingredients and whisk together until smooth.
- Drizzle the glaze across the 2 cakes and let it dry.
- Note: If freezing, prepare as usual, and after the glaze is completely dry, store in a freezer friendly container or plastic bag.
Recipe from Cozy Country Living.