An apple crisp is a comforting, delicious dessert. It isn't the most photographic thing in the food realm, but trust me that this recipe is a winner.
I've been meaning to mention something personal with you folks, which normally I would keep private, but in this case it affects the blog directly. A few months back I found out that I have a degenerative eye disease, keratoconus.
I am newly into my thirties and dealing with a lot of vision problems which is frustrating for every day life and also for the blog. When I take photographs and am trying to take a picture that is in focus, my eye situation makes it extremely hard. As I am editing photographs on my computer, even having zoomed in and putting my face up to the monitor, it is extremely hard to tell what is or isn't in focus.
In the winter I am planning on having eye surgery (fingers crossed that I am a good candidate), so hopefully down the road it is less of an issue. For the time being, my apologies if the photographs aren't as perfect or sharp as I would like. I am trying my best for you guys and I appreciate you hanging in there.
With that out of the way, bake up a dish of pure fall goodness. Spicy, soft pears and apples with a crisp oatmeal topping. I prefer it plain so the flavor of the pears really comes through, but feel free to garnish with lightly sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
Notes: For the filling, I substituted 2 tsp. apple pie spice from Penzeys in place of the cinnamon and nutmeg. I like the touch of clove spices the apple pie spices add. Additionally, the original recipe only called for 2 Tbsp. flour to be added to the filling. I added three instead, as our pears and apples were particularly juicy. I switched the recipe to use equal amounts of sliced pears and apples.
Apple Pear Crisp
Makes about 6 servings
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 6 Tbsp. cold butter
- 3 cups apples
- 3 cups pears
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350f.
- For the topping: In a medium bowl combine brown sugar, oatmeal, flour and cinnamon. Cut in the butter until only small pieces remain. Set aside.
- Peel and slice the apples and pears into 1/4 inch slices. Toss gently with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar and vanilla. Add to the sliced apples and pears, tossing gently to coat.
- Transfer to a buttered 8x8 inch square baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes or until the fruit is tender and the topping is crisp.
Adapted from Baked By Rachel.