Get ready for an insanely delicious and patriotic dessert, an American Flag Strawberry Poke Cake. This is a fun one to have the kiddos help decorate. We've made this cake for a few forth of July celebrations now and it is always a huge hit.
An alternative and even simpler way of making this cake would be to use raspberries instead of the strawberries for the decoration on top. You could even use raspberry Jell-o as well. Enjoy!
American Flag Strawberry Poke Cake
Makes a 9x13" cake
- 1 (15.25 oz.) boxed white cake mix
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 (3 oz.) box strawberry flavored Jell-o
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 (8 oz.) tub Cool-Whip non-dairy whipped topping
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pound strawberries, sliced thin
- 1-2 cups blueberries
- Make cake as directed on the back of the box for a 9×13″ pan.
- Let the cake cool for 20 minutes and “poke” the cake with a large fork all over.
- Mix together the boiling water and Jell-o until the Jell-o is completely dissolved. Pour in the cold water and mix well then pour evenly over the cake.
- Cover the cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate for three hours.
- Combine the Cool-Whip, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla and beat until smooth with a hand mixer. Spread on top of cake. (Note- If you have any clumps of cream cheese in the frosting, it means your cream cheese was not softened enough. Try heating the prepared frosting in the microwave for 20 seconds and stir well to get the frosting nice and smooth.)
- Top with strawberry slices and blueberries to match the flag pattern. Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
Adapted slightly from Six Sisters Stuff.