Notes: Next time we are going to try adding an extra 1/4 cup of protein powdered to this recipe to see how it turns out. That would bring the total amount of protein powder to 3/4 cup. If we try that I will update my notes with the results.
We had frozen zucchini we defrosted to use in this recipe. When it defrosted it let off a LOT of liquid so we discarded the majority of it. I'm going to make this recipe in the future using fresh zucchini to see if there is much of a difference in the end result. If you try fresh, please let me know your results. Enjoy!
Moist Chocolate and Zucchini Protein Muffins
Makes one dozen
- For the dry ingredients:
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup protein powder (I used powdered chocolate Muscle Milk)
- 1/8 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- pinch of salt
- For the wet ingredients:
- 6 egg whites, beaten (This is about 3/4 cup liquid egg whites OR 1/4 cup powdered egg white combined with 3/4 cup water)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup Stevia sweetened (Add to wet ingredients even though it is dry)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Added last:
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- For topping:
- 6 chocolate chips on top of each muffin (add before baking)
- Preheat the oven to 350-f degrees. Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all of the listed wet ingredients. Pour the wet mixture into the dry and combine.
- Fold in the zucchini gently and mix.
- Add muffin liners to your muffin pan. Pour mixture evenly into a 12 portion muffin pan. Top each unbaked muffin with 6 chocolate chips. Bake for 20 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Kiss my Butternut Squash.