Take what might be an average fruit side dish and jazz it up with a delicious banana cream topping. This is a wonderful side dish for the summer. It is gorgeous and so, so very tasty. Enjoy!
Note: Be sure to pick up the five ounce package of instant banana cream pudding and not the three ounce.
Fruit Trifle with Banana Cream Topping
Makes a large trifle
- fresh pineapple
- fresh strawberries
- seedless green grapes
- seedless red grapes
- 1 lemon, juiced (toss with sliced bananas to prevent browning)
- For the topping:
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 8 oz. crushed pineapple, drained a bit
- 1 (5 oz.) package instant banana cream pudding, dry (be sure to buy the 5 oz. pkg and not the 3 oz.)
- Layer fruit in a large bowl or trifle bowl.*
- Reserve some of the fruit to create a pretty design on the top.
- For the topping, whisk all topping ingredients together until well combined. Spread over the top of trifle.
- Arrange the reserved fruit in a design on top.
Note: I layered it strawberries at the bottom, followed by pineapple, green grapes, red grapes, the banana pudding mixture, topped with sliced bananas and sliced strawberries.
Slightly adapted from Chef In Training.