This tasty little appetizer comes together very fast, making it a great option to keep the ingredients on hand for a spur of the moment get together.
The original recipe calls for the plain shrimp to be added on top then sprinkled with Old Bay seasoning. I wanted to warm up the shrimp just a touch so I added a thin pat of butter to a saute pan and tossed the shrimp and old bay together for just a minute. If you do this, be sure to be very gentle as the shrimp can break apart easily.
Zesty Shrimp Cocktail Spread
Makes about 6 servings
- 8 ounce package of cream cheese
- 6 ounces of cocktail sauce (most bottles are 12 oz., so half of that)
- 4 ounce can of tiny shrimp, drained and rinsed
- thin pat of butter (about 1/2 Tbsp.)
- Old Bay Seasoning, desired amount
- Your choice of crackers
- Open can of shrimp and pour into a colander. Run cold water over shrimp to rinse and allow to drain well.
- Place block of cream cheese on a serving platter. Pour cocktail sauce over cream cheese.
- In a warm saute pan, gently stir the shrimp and old bay seasoning for just 1-2 minutes. Be very gentle as the shrimp can break apart easily. Spoon the shrimp on top of cocktail sauce. The cocktail sauce and shrimp will cascade over the side of the cream cheese.
- Place crackers around edge of platter. Serve by spreading on crackers.
Adapted from Kandy's Kitchen Kreations.