For my Mardi Gras party I was looking for a dark purple punch that would compliment the traditional mardi gras colors of purple, yellow and green. I came across a video recipe for Grape & Ginger Ale Punch by Sister Felicia. I loved the story she told of her grandmother making this punch and I recommend you watch the video as well.
I call this delicious drink "chunky" punch as it contains crushed pineapple and cherries, which give you a bit of something to chew on as you drink this.
The color turned out beautiful and everyone enjoyed it. Many thanks to Sister Felicia for this recipe. Enjoy!
Grape & Ginger Ale "Chunky" Punch
- 1 bottle (2 quarts) Welch's Grape Juice chilled
- 1 2 liter bottle "Canada Dry" Ginger Ale chilled
- 1 10 oz jar Maraschino Cherries with juices
- 1 10 oz can of crushed pineapple with juices
- For ice cubes:
- extra maraschino cherries
- extra ginger ale (or you could use juice, such as pineapple or grape)
- Prepare the ice cubes: Add a maraschino cherry to each ice cube tray compartment. Fill about 2/3 of the way with ginger ale soda. Don't fill to the top as the soda will expand as it freezes. Freeze and store until ready to use. Alternatively you could use juice instead of soda.
- Add the cherry ice cubes to a punch bowl. Combine all punch ingredients to the punch bowl and stir gently.
Recipe from Sister Felicia.