This one is going straight to the Top 25 Recipes of 2014 Pinterest board, no question. I'm going to predict that this will be my #1 dessert recipe of the year. They are that good. The texture is divine. The taste, just incredible.
I used the same base as the Sheet Cake Cookies, but as you can see, they turned out much flatter. My guess is my dough was quite a bit warmer than the sheet cake cookies. The reason for this was I didn't have time to let my butter come to room temperature, so I popped it in the microwave for a few seconds too long and it had just barely begun to melt.
Your mileage will vary depending on if your dough is chilled, not chilled, etc. Regardless of flat or rounded top, they taste amazing. If you love chocolate and orange together, these are your cookies!
Milk Chocolate and Orange Butter Cookies
Makes about 2 dozen cookies, depending on size
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. Fiori di Sicilia (This stuff is amazing. If you aren't able to pick it up, use about 1/2 tsp. zest from an orange)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips, melted
- For the cookies: Preheat oven to 350°-f degrees.
- Line baking sheet with parchment or silicone mat, set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer beat butter and sugar together until light, scraping sides frequently.
- Add in egg and vanilla and continue mixing until incorporated. Mix in baking powder and salt.
- Turn mixer to low and slowly add in flour. Dough will be thick.
- In a microwave safe bowl heat chocolate chips on high in 30 second increments until melted, stirring after every 30 seconds.
- Mix melted chocolate directly into cookie dough until evenly mixed.
- Drop dough by a measured tablespoon sized mounds onto baking sheet. Bake for 7-8 minutes until cookies just appear set. They will still be very soft on the inside. DO NOT overbake.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Adapted from Chocolate Sheet Cake Cookies. Sharing this recipe at the following fun link parties.