This delicious Frosted Strawberry Salad was loved by all at our Easter lunch. It has pineapple, strawberries and bananas in a fluffy strawberry jello base. It set up quite firm which made cutting it into slices, as well as serving it, very easy. Enjoy!
Frosted Strawberry Salad
Makes a 9x13" pan
- For the base layer:
- 1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple (save the juice for the top layer recipe)
- 2 cups apple juice
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries (about 1 1/2 pounds before trimming and slicing)
- 1 banana, sliced
- 3/4 cup pecan pieces (I omitted)
- 2 3-ounce packages strawberry flavored gelatin
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 2 cups whipped topping such as Dream Whip
- For the top layer:
- reserved pineapple juice plus water to make one cup
- 1 packet unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup whipped topping such as Dream Whip
- For the base layer: Drain the pineapple and reserve the juice. Set the drained pineapple aside.
- In a saucepan, bring the apple juice mixture to a boil. Pour the hot juice into a bowl and add the gelatin. Stir to dissolve. Refrigerate until partially set.
- Beat the cream cheese and mayonnaise together until light and fluffy. Fold in the gelatin mixture. Fold in the whipped topping.
- Fold the pineapple, strawberries, sliced banana, and pecans into the remaining cream cheese mixture. Pour into an 8 x 13 pan. Chill until the top sets, about 20 minutes.
- For the top layer: Bring the juice and water mixture to a boil. Dissolve the unflavored gelatin in the boiling water. Turn the heat down, add the marshmallows and stir until the marshmallows are dissolved. Set aside to cool until tepid but not set.
- Fold in the whipped topping. Spread the topping mixture over the fruit mixture. Chill for several hours before serving.
Recipe from Prepared Pantry. Sharing this recipe at the following fun link parties.