These tender Cherry Almond Cookies are a favorite every year at Christmas. They are pictures above with the cherries.
My mom always made them as sliced cookies and rolled the roll of cookie dough in chopped walnuts that had been colored green with food dye. I'm not sure where that came from, it's just always how she made them. Many thanks to Spice Gals for this recipe. They were very tasty cookies. Enjoy!
Cherry Almond Cookies
Makes a few dozen
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tarter
- Maraschino Cherries
1. Cream together butter and sugar. Add egg and extracts and beat well. Add the dry ingredients and mix well. Cover and chill for 1 hour
2. Form small balls and place on a cookie sheet.
3. Cook in a preheated 375 degree oven for 10-12 minutes, depending big you roll the balls. Smaller ones might only take about 8 minutes)
4. While the cookies are cooking, take your maraschino cherries, dry them off with a paper towel, and cut them in half. After cookies come out of oven, put on rack to cool and place a cherry in the middle of the cookie.
Recipe from Spice Gals.