This tasty dessert has been around for decades under many different names. Today I am sharing the version my family makes. Enjoy!
Classic Oreo Icebox Dessert
Makes a 9" x 13" pan
- 1st Layer (Bottom):
- 1 pkg. Oreo cookies
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 2nd and last layer (Divide into two equal portions):
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 12 oz. Cool Whip, thawed
- 3rd Layer:
- 2 small pkg. instant chocolate pudding
- 3 c. milk
- Chocolate sprinkles or mini chocolate chips
- Another option is to reserve about 1/4 cup of the oreo crumbs for garnish and sprinkle over the top
- Spray a 9"x 13" dish lightly with cooking spray. Add the Oreo cookies to a food processor and blend for a few seconds until the cookies are small crumbs. Transfer to a bowl and add melted butter and stir until combined. Press into the bottom of the pan to create the first layer.
- Add the cream cheese to a large mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, mix until the cream cheese is smooth, then add the powdered sugar. Mix until combined well. Finally add in the cool whip and mix until combined. Divide the mixture in half. Add one of the two portions as the 2nd layer.
- In a large bowl combine the instant chocolate pudding and the milk. Using a hand mixer, mix for 3 minutes. Add the chocolate mixture as the 3rd layer.
- Add the 2nd portion of the cool whip as the final layer. Add your garnishes if using and put into the fridge to chill for several hours.
Recipe from my mom.