A delicious main dish that is perfect for St. Patrick's Day.
Brown Sugar Glazed Corned Beef
Makes many servings
- 1 (3 -4 lb) corned beef brisket (If it is really fatty you can trim a bit of the fat off)
- 1/2 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 1 medium carrot, cut into chunks
- 1 celery rib with leaves, cut into chunks
- 1 pkg mixed pickling spices (this comes with the corned beef)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup broth reserved from boiling the corned beef
- 1 Tbsp. whole ground mustard
- 1 Tbsp. sweet pickle relish (optional)
1. Place corned beef in a large Dutch oven; cover with water. Add the onion, carrot, celery and pickling spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours until meat is tender.
2. After the corned beef is tender, prepare the glaze and preheat the oven to 325-f degrees. Coat the meat with the glaze. Bake uncovered for 30-45 minutes, basting occasionally and adding reserved liquid to bottom of dish as needed to prevent drying out. If the meat seems dry at all, you can cover it with foil midway through baking. After letting the meat rest for several minutes, slice and serve.
Recipe adapted from Susi's Kochen Und Backen Adventures. Sharing this recipe at the following fun link parties.