For the mushroom lovers out there, today I have a recipe for a delicious Mushroom Melt, inspired by this recipe over at Closet Cooking. This isn't a boring mushroom sandwich. The mushrooms have a ton of flavor, like lemon, Parmesan and thyme. Added to that is lots of yummy melted cheese and grilled sourdough bread.
Makes 4 sandwiches
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400F/200C.
2. Zest the lemon, reserving the juice for later. Combine the zest, thyme and enough olive oil to make the mixture pourable in a bowl. Clean and slice the mushrooms and place them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle with half the olive oil mixture and season with salt and pepper.
3. Bake for 10 minutes. Sprinkle the parmesan over the mushrooms and return to the oven for another 5 minutes, or until the cheese is lovely and golden.Drizzle the remaining olive oil mixture and some lemon juice (to taste) over the mushrooms.
- For the sandwiches:
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 8 slices cheese, recommended: Havarti or Fontina
1. Butter one side of the sourdough bread slices. Add a slice of cheese to each slice of bread. Add mushrooms to half of the slices and grill all pieces, butter side down, in a pan over medium to medium-high heat. Once cheese has melted, combine the pieces, cut and serve.