While we are in the middle of a super hot Summer, a delicious side dish is this Cornbread Salad. A moist cornbread is topped with crunchy vegetables, a ranch sauce and shredded cheese. It is an amazing side dish to something like BBQ chicken. You will want to use your favorite recipe for cornbread for this. I use Cornbread Supreme typically, but you can use a traditional cornbread too, or even a box mix (gasp!)
If you prefer, you can crumble up the cornbread, or even cut it into cubes and layer it in a trifle dish. Or you can keep it simple like me and pile it in a 9"x13" pan and call it good. Using this method I did cut up the cornbread into large squares just to make serving it easier from the pan.
I used the toppings from Recipe Shoebox for her Chili Cornbread Salad, just minus the beans. It is refreshing and delicious. Enjoy!
Makes one 9"x13" pan
Prepared cornbread, enough for a 9"x13" pan, cut into squares or if preferred, crumbled (I used this recipe)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 envelope ranch dressing mix
- 2 cans (15-1/4 oz. each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 10 bacon strips, crumbled
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1. If you haven't done so, add half of the the cornbread to the bottom of a large serving dish/pan.
2. Mix the mayo, sour cream and ranch dressing mix together well.
3. Mix the corn, tomatoes, peppers, green onions, bacon and cheese together.
4. Layer the dish as follows: Cornbread, veggies, mayo. Repeat.
Alternatively you can do one layer of cornbread then the ranch mix, then the veggies on top and serve.
Recipe from Recipe Shoebox. Linking up to the parties found here.