One tip that I have for cooks who are looking to add more vegetables into their meals is to cook up a big pot of sliced onions and bell peppers until they are soft and the onions are caramelized. Let cool and store it in the fridge. Now they are ready to be added to pasta bakes, quesadillas, and breakfast turnovers like these. I happened to have spicy sausage to use up so I added that in with the vegetables and freshly shredded cheese. So good! Ready for the recipe?
There is a lot of room for adapting this recipe to fit your tastes. Like it really spicy? Add sliced jalapenos. Not a fan of sausage? Try ground beef instead.
Makes several servings
scrambled eggs, cooked and seasoned
sauteed onions and bell peppers
spicy sausage, cooked and crumbled
freshly shredded cheese, cheddar or anything you like
2 sheets puff pastry
egg for egg wash
garnishes: sour cream, salsa
1. Preheat oven to 400-f degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine all of the filling ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
3. Lay out the puff pastry sheets. Cut each sheet into squares. I did four big squares per sheet, to make extra big turnovers. You can make them smaller if you'd like.
4. Add filling to squares. Fold over the squares to make a triangle. Using a fork, crimp the edges so they are sealed. Stir up the extra egg in a small bowl then brush the puff pastry with it.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes, keep a close eye on it, until it is golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes, then remove from pan and serve.
4 hours ago