mentioned previously, The Kitchen Reader chose The Sugar Queen as the book selection for July. A few reviews already have mentioned the Grilled Tomato and Cheese sandwich described several times in the book, and I was inspired to create it.
Using the description in the book, here is my take on Chloe's Grilled Tomato and Cheese Sandwich that the main character Josey enjoys so much. Ready for the recipe?
Makes 1 sandwich
- 2 slices of quality bread
- 2 slices colby jack cheese
- 2 thick slices of ripe tomato
- butter for bread
- salt and pepper for seasoning tomato slices
- optional: very thin layer of mayo on the slice of bread covering the tomatoes
1. Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Spread a thin layer of butter on the bread slices. Add butter side down on the pan. Add the cheese to once slice of bread. If using, spread a thin layer of mayo on the other slice, then add the tomato slices. Season tomatoes lightly with salt and pepper. Let the bread grill until nicely browned and the cheese has melted. Combine the two slices, cut sandwich in half, and enjoy warm.
Inspired by The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen