|The top tier of the cake, which we took with |
us to eat on the honeymoon.
The Amazing Citrus Wedding Cake is a little bit easier to say though, isn't it?
My mom made this for my wedding. Being a total goober, I forgot to take a picture of the finished wedding cake. *Facepalm*
- Orange Curd (substitute orange for lemon): Martha Stewart
- Candied Orange Slices: Martha Stewart
- Italian Meringue Buttercream Frosting: Recipe from Fancy Flours (Recipe below - My mom actually got the recipe directly from them from their physical store location, back when they had one, so I don't think the recipe is online at their website.)
- Moist Yellow Cake: Martha Stewart
- Lemon Infused Simple Syrup: No recipe that I could find for this at the moment. It is brushed on top of each layer of yellow cake.
|If you look closely you can see colored straws were used as dowels to support the upper cake tier. The original plan was to pipe lines of frosting to match the clipping below, but it was too much of a hassle so we went with the rustic look.|
|Closeup of the Top Tier|
Italian Meringue Buttercream Frosting
Makes 8 cups
8 egg whites
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1/3 c. sugar
1/2 c. white corn syrup
3/4 c. sugar
1-1/2 pounds unsalted butter
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Add sugar gradually and beat until a stiff meringue forms.
2. Meanwhile, in a nonstick saucepan combine corn syrup and sugar. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat. In a small, steady stream, pour into meringue mixture with a mixer running. Whip until room temperature, about 20 minutes. Slowly add room temperature butter about 1 tablespoon at a time. Whip until mixture comes together and forms a smooth frosting. Beat in vanilla.
Source: Fancy Flours
If you were wondering, these are the clip outs that I saw that inspired the cake: