Chicken Parmigiano Soup
Makes 4 Servings
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil,
plus extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
4 chicken breasts, pounded out and cut into bite-sized pieces
salt & freshly ground black pepper
4 garlic cloves, 3 chopped, 1 for rubbing bread
2 large onions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 (28 ounce) can pasta-style chunky tomatoes
1 cup fresh basil, chopped
For the Parmesan Bread:
8 slices Italian bread
1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese
1. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat with 2 T of extra-virgin olive oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to pot. Cook for about 3-4 minutes, or until just cooked through.
2. Remove from the pot and set aside. Add the other 2 T of extra virgin olive oil along with the chopped garlic, onions and red pepper flakes. Cook for about 3-4 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes and the stock, bring to a simmer and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Add chicken back to the pot and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the chopped basil and stir to combine.
4. While the soup is cooking, drizzle the sliced bread with some extra-virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and toast until lightly golden, about 3-4 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven. Rub each piece with the garlic clove and top with Parmesan cheese. Place back in oven for 1-2 minutes.
6. Serve soup topped with 2 pieces of Parmesan toast or, if you prefer, put the bread on the bottom and the soup on top.
Recipe from Rachael Ray