Miss in the Kitchen pop up in my reader I knew I had to make it, and pronto. I went with a chewy ciabatta sandwich roll and smoked Swiss cheese. In retrospect the cheese overpowered the other flavors, so I would recommend regular Swiss. So tasty. Ready for the recipe?
Steak Sandwiches with Green Onion Mayo
Makes 6 servings
- 2 pounds sirloin steak
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash Seasoning Blend
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 slices Swiss cheese, cut in half vertically to fit rolls
- 6 steak rolls
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Sauteed mushrooms, optional
- For mayo:
- 1/2 cup real mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 green onions, green and white parts, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
1. Prepare green onion mayo first, to allow flavors to meld together while you cook the steak. In a small bowl combine mayo, Worcestershire sauce, green onions, garlic, and pepper. Stir well.
2. Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat, add oil. Season steak with salt and Mrs. Dash on both sides. Add steak to skillet when the oil in the skillet just starts to smoke. Turn heat to medium. Cook steak for about 4 minutes and turn, cook an additional 4 minutes for medium and an additional 8 minutes for well done. Remove steak to a cutting board and allow to rest for five minutes.
3. Meanwhile, spread a thin layer of butter over both sides of each bun and place under broiler for a few minutes, just until butter starts to brown. Remove bread from oven and place 2 slices of cheese over bottom half of each bun.
4. Slice steak into thin strips and place over cheese. Spread top side of bun with a tablespoon of green onion mayo.
Recipe from Miss in the Kitchen and Tasty Kitchen